Welcome to the MIHS baseball program! Listed below is information about the program as well as answers to commonly asked questions.
When are tryouts/games/practices?
Tryouts start Monday, February 27th at 4pm rain or shine, arrive as soon as possible after school to sign-in, Bring/wear baseball attire including protective equipment and anticipate cold, rainy weather. Teams will be formed towards the end of the week. Practices are typically from 4-7 Monday-Friday. The season lasts until the beginning of May for freshmen. The Varsity season can last through the end of May depending on how well we do in the playoffs.
What about away games?
All students will use MISD transportation to/from away games. Some away games will require players to leave early from school and a Pre-arranged Absence Form (WHAMMO) will be needed.
How many teams will there be?
We usually have 3 teams, Varsity, JV and C team. All freshman players begin the year on the C team and some may be moved up as the season progresses.
Who are the coaches?
Dominic Woody is the head varsity coach, he chooses the coaches and assistants for each team. We typically know all of the coaches by Feb 1.
How many games do we play?
WIAA allows each player 20 games max. KingCo 3A has 8 teams, we play each of the 7 opponents twice for a total of 14 conference games. We will have 6 non-conference games as well as two pre-season jamboree mini-games. The C team may have slightly different schedule since not all of the KingCo teams have enough players for three teams.
What about uniforms?
The school and booster club provides at least one jersey, game pant and hat for each player. Players are expected to purchase a Player Pack that includes additional equipment such as an equipment bag, helmet, socks, etc. The Player Packs typically run between $150-$250 depending on the items selected. Scholarships are available from the booster club, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spring Sports packets and payment are due on or before February 8th. Please see Athletics on the MIHS homepage. The Online Payments box is on the right side of the MIHS homepage.
- Check our website www.mibaseball.org for the latest information. During the season we'll update the home page each week with the latest schedule and results.
- Join the MI Baseball Booster Club! The booster club provides the necessary operational funds for the MIHS baseball program. To join follow the paypal link on our home page www.mibaseball.org.
- Sign up for the MIBBC newsletter. You’ll receive the latest information regarding the baseball program including weekly email updates during the season.
- If you can’t attend the game, you’re in luck! Each team will have a scorekeeper (parent volunteer) using Gamechanger. Each year the MIBBC pre-pays so that all fans can follow the live scoring stream for free. We also live stream video/audio of varsity games using The Cube. Check our home page for more info.
- All parents will be expected to volunteer during the season. The Team Parent will help coordinate things such as team dinners, scorekeeping, canopy setup, pictures, etc.
- During each home game, we will have volunteers operate the concession stand providing drinks and snacks for those in attendance. The MIBBC concession stand coordinator will organize the schedule and all parents are expected to work a shift at some point during the season.
- There are high expectations regarding fan behavior during the games. The fans are there to cheer for our team in a positive fashion…let the coaches coach and the players play.
Welcome to MIHS baseball...Go Islanders!